Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lessons from Zoey, Pt. 4

The months passed slowly after that. Zoey remained vibrant and full of life. The first month passed, then the second. Slowly, I began to change. Zoey’s daily wisdom and constant happiness had a major effect on me, and I became happier as a result. Little by little, I stopped being mean to people and started being nicer.
A third month passed. Zoey had now survived four months when she was only expected to make three.
We sat now at the end of that last month, me with my back to our oak tree. She sat on my lap, looking out at the setting sun. Her brown hair blew gently past my face in the wind, slightly golden in the light of the descending sun.
“Ben,” she said quietly, “I think…I think my time is up.”
I just nodded.
“I accomplished something, Ben.” She coughed softly. “Doctor Thompson said I would only make it three months, but I made it four.”
She turned her head to look at me and smiled gently. I smiled back and took her hand in mine.
“You did good, Zo,” I said. We sat in silence the rest of the sun’s descent and then late into the night. Finally, she stood and hugged me, then went home. We did this every night for a week, and then Zoey went into the hospital. The cancer had finally taken its toll. I stayed by her side every minute of every day after that until the day came when she passed away.
I’ll never forget Zoey and the things she taught me. I visited her grave every weekend after that and told her how I was doing, what new books I was reading, new things I’ve written. I’ll read her this story, too, once it is finished. I know she would love it.

No comments: