Saturday, May 16, 2009

Lessons from Zoey (Pt. 1)

"Zoey," the balding man in the white coat said, "I'm sorry. You have cancer."

I felt the air sucked out of the room at his words. Zoey had cancer? It wasn't fair! She was only seventeen, and had so much to give to the world.

I looked over at her and her parents. They looked devastated, but Zoey just nodded.

"How long do I have?" she asked.

"Well," the doctor replied, "if you go through treatment, you might come out of it and survive."

"And what if I don't?"

"Judging by how far along it is," the doctor said slowly, "you have three months."

That was one month ago. Zoey had decided not to go through treatment. I still can't understand why. We've been best friends all our lives, and I thought I knew her. I guess I have more to learn...

Zoey was always a very happy person. She was very rarely seen without a smile on her face and a spring in her step, even facing her death as she is now.

She was a bit short, around five feet and two inches. A petite girl of seventeen. Her hair was light brown and shone almost like gold in the sun. It extended down to the middle of her back. Her nose was small, yet strong, with a little bump in the middle of the bridge. Her bottom lip was slightly fuller than the top, and she had a well-defined cupid's bow. She had wide, hazel eyes that tipped more toward brown than green and always glinted with some hidden joke or mischief, perfectly centered and symmetrical on her face. Her cheekbones were high and pronounced, slightly pink with blush. She never wore make-up. She didn't have to.

I stepped into the school cafeteria and spotted her a few tables away, holding a spork loaded with sweet potato loosely in her hand. She took a bite and smiled softly. Nothing could bring her spirits down.

I walked over and sat across from her, setting my books down on the table. "What's up, Zo?" I asked. She looked up and smiled brightly.

"Ben! I'm doing alright. Just enjoying these sweet potatoes I made. Try some?"

I pulled my spork out of the plastic wrapping and took a bite. Tears came to my eyes as soon as those sweet potatoes met my tastebuds. I was in love with Zoey's cooking.

"Zoey, these are fantastic!" She giggled, and I took another big bite. She raised an eyebrow and smirked.

"I'm glad you like them, but at least save some for me, Benjamin Perkins!"

I blushed and set down my spork. "S-sorry, Zo. I got carried away..."

She looked at me seriously for a moment, then threw her head back and laughed gently.

"It's alright, Ben," she said as she pulled another container from her bag. "I made some for you, too!"

I smiled and thanked her. We ate together in silence for a moment before I spoke again.

"How are you feeling today?"

She shrugged. "I'm feeling alright. My chest has been hurting a bit lately. Otherwise, I'm fine."

"You'd tell me if you weren't, right?"

"Of course I would, Ben."

The bell rang. I packed up my stuff and gave Zoey a hug.

"Meet at our Secret Place after school?" she asked. I nodded and smiled.

"Of course, Zoey. I'll be there."

2 comments:

Anna said...

End the quotation on your last sentence. Other than that, pretty good so far :)

leo509 said...

Moar! Don't leave us hanging! :D

Anyway, good stuff, Brandon. You have the makings of a great story. Keep writing. :)